Villa Mugiasca, situated in Villa Guardia, near Como, is the result of the project of renovation by the architect Simone Cantoni, who, between 1788 and 1804, under the commission of the Bishop Gian Battista Mugiasca, restructured the existing structures of the old villa built in the XVII century in a neoclassical style. Hus has followed the renovation of some parts of this historical building between 2017 and 2018, both as architects and project managers.
The garden area in direct contact with the Villa is declined in three different spaces; two courtyards, divided by the house, and a more classical garden, shaded by secular trees and boxwood compositions.
The main entrance of the Villa is located in the west area of the garden, where tree crowns frame the sky and lead from the entrance to the parking, placed under a wooden shelter. From here, there is a direct passage to one of the external courtyards. Originally here was found the main entrance to the Villa’s property, now disused because of the high traffic road facing the the old gate. The courtyard has therefore been transformed from a passage area into a place dedicated to walking and animated with chromatic transitions of the various species of flowers. The central flowerbed pivots around a half-sphere shaped metal fountain.
The garden surrounds the Villa on three sides; gravel paths run along the garden leading from one courtyard to the other. The second courtyard has an Italian style layout, with two areas delimited by woodboxes, in the center of which two concrete oval slabs define the outdoor areas, the living and the dining. Within the concrete plates, two holes have been traced in order to house a pomegranate and an apple tree, comforting with their shadows the external spaces and protecting them from the sun.
Location: Villa Guardia, Como, Italy
Plot surface:3 ha
Collaborators & Partners
Catelllani&Smith • Janus et Cie • Paola Lenti • Magis • Viabizzuno